Wednesday, November 4, 2009


Didn't post yesterday as I spent most of the day trying to beat whatever nasty I've picked up. I felt ok-ish early in the morning so the Girls and I headed to the beach for a pre-sunrise walk and it felt really good.

The humpback whales were going crazy - jumping, slapping, cavorting just off the reef. It was low tide so the dogs and I were way way out and the whales were so close it was amazing! This is the most active (and LOUD) and the closest that we've had them on any of our walks. Very cool.

There were also kangaroos galore along the beach...until they saw Tilly rampaging along! One group (herd? flock? school?) of six held their ground until we were only about 50m away and then BANG all of them were off, up over the sand dunes and away into the bush. Tilly tried to follow, but she's a little uncoordinated and suffers from some navigational issues so by the time she got to the top of the dunes, the roos were long gone. I'm glad as I really don't need her chasing down big roos, frankly.

Dora kinda gave a half-hearted canter for about 8 steps and then trotted back to my side. She knows her limitations.

I was pretty weak & tired when we got back to the car but my spirits were high again and I was feeling like I could manage the day.

On the drive away from the beach we came across two bustards (Ardeotis australis) - bush turkeys - wandering around just off the side of the road. I only had the baby Canon with me but still snapped away while rolling slowly in the car (give me a break, I'm sick, remember!)
under the tree

After a shower I was feeling pretty good so I hit work stuff, delivered some prints, ran some errands, got some groceries, put on some laundry...and started to feel really run down by about 11am. I had a little rest, ate some scrumptious watermelon and generally took it pretty easy for the rest of the day.

I wasn't feeling great by bedtime, but I wasn't feeling as sucky either. Until about 3am when I woke up and was totally unable to go back to sleep. I hate it when that happens. So I worked for a couple of hours until the sun started to come up and then Dora, Tilly & I loaded up for another beach walk.
Camera? What camera? Over there? Where? What?

The whales weren't as boisterous today but there were still a few making a big production of breathing with loud snorts and big plumes of exhalations.

I'm in the shop tidying up some accounts and tons of email again. Town seems very quiet so hopefully more people will trickle in for the weekend.

Dave is still in Perth and has at least one more doctor's appointment today - just to get the results of another blood test, I think. He's been told he should be fine, but they want to check again in early December. He can travel which is a super good thing since we leave for our US holiday next week!

I've been trying to be good about blogging a selection of stuff - photo, non-photo, news, random blathering - over at my Exmouth photography blog, so make sure to check it out and leave a note!

No comments: